WebReference Open Publishing Overview
WebReference wants you! As part of our Open Publishing initiative we're now accepting story submissions for our Web site and/or weekly text newsletters, you could be next! We're looking for sharp people to write about the hot Web-dev topics of the day.
We will consider how-tos, site/software/book reviews, technology overviews, trends, interviews, opinion and analysis - anything that would be of interest to our target audience: primarily well-educated, well-compensated intermediate to advanced HTML authors and Web masters. If you've got a product, or area of expertise, who better to write an article on it and get some great PR in the process?
To start, submit a description and outline of your proposed article. Article length should be 1000-1500 words. All articles (especially tutorials) should have working example(s) that support, but don't overshadow, the main ideas and concepts of the article.
Want to get an idea of what others have written? Check out our article archive to read past contributions.
What do you get out of it?
- Fame: Sure, there are plenty of public forums on the Net. But how many guarantee hundreds of thousands of interested eyeballs, absorbing your thoughts and ideas? Articles that make the cut will be published in our text newsletter and/or our Web site and read by influential Web masters.
- Promotion: We give back-links to all our freelance writers. If you're a developer, coder, Web master, or anyone with a public project, what better way to promote your site (or yourself) than have thousands of interested parties reading your ideas?
- Respect: What better way to impress your peers than to be recognized as an authority in your subject of choice?
- A Foot In The Door: This is Open Publishing - You share your information with us for free, and we share it with the rest of the world for free. However, the WebReference columnists do get paid... we select them from our most promising freelancers. Either way, we all win.
What do we get out of it?
- Up-to-the Minute Content: The Web is a big, big place. There's no way for our staff to cover all of it as thoroughly as we would like. But we do want to provide our readers with the widest and freshest assortment of articles possible. So who better to turn to, than our largest and most valuable resource - you, our readership! We know you're more than just interested in the Web - you're out there in the virtual trenches, creating the Web.
- Contact With Our Readers: We turn our little code-monkey grinders everyday, trying to make the Webreference Web site and Newsletter the best they can possibly be. Even though we have nearly one hundred thousand total subscribers and millions of visitors each month, we don't always get to connect with our readership. We want to make WebReference your number one information source, and by joining us, you can help us make it exactly how you want it to be.
- More Subscribers: We ask each submitter to add our newsletter signup form to their site to encourage folks to signup.
Now, before you go any further, take a look at the legal agreement below. We know nobody likes legalese (other than the lawyers), but it protects you and us. After you've read the agreement, click on either Agree or Disagree below. By clicking on Agree, you are verifying that you have read and chosen to accept the conditions specified.
Jupitermedia Corp. FREELANCE AUTHOR/ARTIST AGREEMENT
ONE TIME WORK
This Freelance Author/Artist Agreement is entered between Jupitermedia Corp. with offices at 23 Old King's Highway South, Darien, CT USA 06820 ("Jupitermedia Corp") and you concerning the terms for the use of a certain piece of work in an Jupitermedia Corp Publication: webreference.com
- Grant of Rights: You grant to Jupitermedia Corp an exclusive worldwide right of first publication to the Work for a period of 30 days after Jupitermedia Corp's publication of the Work, in any and all media and forms of expressions now known, or hereafter devised, including but not limited to all print, computer, on-line, audio, video, Internet and other electronic media or publications in both the original and all foreign languages. After completion of the preceding exclusive term, you grant to Jupitermedia Corp a non-exclusive, and perpetual, worldwide right to the publication of the Work for all print, reprint, book, syndication, computer, on-line, audio, video, Internet and other electronic media use now known, or hereafter devised.
- Retention of Rights: During the exclusive term, you retain the right only for the following: a) your right to make and distribute copies of all or part of the Work for non-commercial classroom teaching; b) your right to use the Work as part of your private portfolio of works. At the end of the exclusive term, you retain all rights except as granted to Jupitermedia Corp in Section 1 above.
- Fees: The fee for the Work will be $0 (the "Fee") and an email and site link within the article. Jupitermedia Corp is under no obligation to publish the Work.
- Acknowledgment: Jupitermedia Corp agrees to always acknowledge you as the creator of the Work.
- Acceptance: Your Work must be delivered complete and in a format that is acceptable to Jupitermedia Corp. You agree to comply with all time schedules and other requests of Jupitermedia Corpluding providing up to two rewrites of the Work. Upon request, a list of all sources that you relied upon for the Work will be provided to Jupitermedia Corp. Jupitermedia Corp reserves the right to adapt or edit the Work as it deems appropriate. All Work is subject to final acceptance by Jupitermedia Corp.
- Representation: You represent and warrant to Jupitermedia Corp that: (1) the Work is original and that you are the sole creator of the Work and have full power and authority to enter into this Agreement; (2) the Work has not been previously published anywhere in whole, or in part; (3) the Work does not, and if published will not, infringe upon any copyright, trademark or other right of any third party; (4) the Work is true and contains no matter that is defamatory; and (5) you will not publish the Work in violation of this Agreement. You agree to cooperate with Jupitermedia Corp in its defense of any action related to the Work. In addition, you agree to indemnify and hold Jupitermedia Corp harmless from any and all claims, losses and expenses that are a result of your breach of the foregoing representations.
- Independent: You agree that you are an independent contractor and not an employee or agent of Jupitermedia Corp and that you may not bind Jupitermedia Corp to any agreement or liabilities and that you are solely responsible for paying any taxes, costs, or expenses related to your Work and your receipt of the Fee.
- Assignment: You may not assign any of your rights under this Agreement. Jupitermedia Corp may assign its rights in this Agreement with notice to you.
- Miscellaneous: You agree that this is the entire Agreement between you and Jupitermedia Corp related to the Work and that this Agreement supersedes all previous agreements and understandings related to the Work. This Agreement may not be amended, or modified nor may any term of this Agreement be waived except by a subsequent writing signed by you and Jupitermedia Corp. Any disputes related to this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Connecticut and you consent to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Connecticut.