Mother of Perl | 2
Creative Daemon Contest
RulesTo be considered for entry, the submission must follow the following basic requirements:
- Should fork from its parent process
- Must disassociate itself from a controlling terminal
- Change working directory to /
- Close unneeded filehandles
- Set umask to 0
Any entries that do not meet these requirements will be disqualified.
SubmissionsAll submissions should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a MIME attachment. The body of the email should contain the submitter's full name, email address, description of the daemon, and any special instructions.
Judging CriteriaThe entries will be judged using the following criteria:
- Compliance of contest rules - the daemon must following the guidelines listed above
- Creative use of Perl - utilization of special features built into Perl
- Creative use of a daemon - Unique use of a daemon process to accomplish a task
Testing EnvironmentThe daemons will be run on a Linux box with a 2.2.x kernel. The machine will have 333MHz Pentium II processor with 256 Megabytes of RAM and a 6 gigabyte disk. The machine will have access to the Internet.
Winner NotificationAfter all entries have been judged and the winning entries selected, the winners will be notified via email. The winning prizes will be sent in 2-4 weeks following notification. Contest results will be posted to the Mother of Perl Web site May 1st.
PrizesThe First, Second, and Third place entries will win a copy of Mastering Algorithms with Perl. In addition the First place entry will win $300. Second place $200.
SponsersCopies of Mastering Algorithms with Perl have been graciously provided by O'Reilly. Cash prizes have been provided by Whirlwind Interactive. Thanks to Randal Schwartz of Stonehenge Consulting for volunteering to judge the contest entries.
Produced by Jonathan Eisenzopf and